Ream and run for arthritis in a 37 year old - 5 month progress report - Muin1 me

Advertisement
Advertisement

Ream and run for arthritis in a 37 year old - 5 month progress report

A very active 37 year old male presented to us with a long standing history of right shoulder pain. He had history of a right shoulder dislocation at the age of 16 for which he underwent an arthroscopic bankart repair. He did well until approximately 2003, when he was involved in a motor cycle accident in which he sustained a shoulder fracture. He subsequently underwent a debridement and did well up until 2011 when he had a bicycle accident and sustained a second shoulder fracture (unsure of anatomic location). He then developed progressive stiffness and pain that did not respond to steroid injections. At the office visit he could perform only 3/12 of the Simple Shoulder Test functions. His radiographs are shown below


Because of his active lifestyle, he elected to have a ream and run procedure.

He recently sent this email from his home in South Africa:

"I wanted to touch base with you since now I am five months out of having the Ream and Run. Its been a bit up and down, as I'm sure you are aware of, but overall I know in the long run my shoulder is going to be much better off than it was prior to the procedure. I wanted to ask you about certain exercises to focus on and avoid. I've been sticking to the rowing, lat pulldowns, light yoga, and strengthen my back. The physiotherapist I am working here has added some external rotation exercises and I am finding them very problematic. I remember reading to avoid them for at least three months after surgery, which I did, but at five months one set of external rotation exercises will cause pain and stiffness in the front part of the shoulder for several days. I wanted to see if that was normal and what your thoughts were on the type of rehab exercises I should focus on?

On a side note, South Africa is a gorgeous country. After living in big Asian cities the last seven years it's nice to get back to a place, much like the Northwest, that I can enjoy an outdoor lifestyle. I'm not back to cycling yet, but once back on the bike I know I will enjoy it even more here. Appreciate your time and feedback."

He also sent these videos of his shoulder motion, which he generously gave us permission to show here

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel